The killing of George Floyd has rocked the US and sparked protests around the world. Police officers are rarely charged with Murder in discharging their duties and there is no disagreeing that what Derek Chauvin did was a crime and not policing. There was outrage at the charges filed, third-degree Murder and Second Degree Manslaughter. Breaking down what these changes mean, what the murder and manslaughter statues look like in Minnesota, and how they apply to this case will hopefully be a helpful step in understanding what is happening. When dealing with the prosecution of a Police Officer who was acting in the line of duty there are additional defenses available to them when they are prosecuted, I talk about those too.
Resources & Articles from this Episode
Minnesota Criminal Statutes
- Murder in the First Degree
- Second Degree Murder
- Third Degree Murder
- Manslaughter First Degree
- Second Degree Manslaughter
News Stories covering this case
- Independent autopsy finds George Floyd died of homicide by asphyxia
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin charged with murder in George Floyd case
- Medical examiner: Floyd's heart stopped while restrained
If you want me to cover a particular story or situation please contact the show at GetLegit@emilydbaker.com
Come hang with me on social! I want to chat with you in the Get Legit Community Facebook Group !!